Table of Contents
- Types of Lawyers
- Salaries of Lawyers
- Location and Salary
Lawyers are in high demand in numerous countries. They are required to have an advanced education, knowledge of the law, and experience in the legal field. With this level of expertise comes potential high earnings. In this article, we will discuss how much a starting lawyer makes.
Types of Lawyers
There are numerous types of lawyers. The type of law practiced and the individual lawyer’s experience, reputation, and hard work are factors that will determine how much a lawyer earns. Some of the most common types of lawyers include:
• Corporate Lawyers – These handle matters pertaining to a corporation, such as legal representation for a business, contract negotiations, and other matters.
• Criminal Lawyers – These represent defendants in criminal cases, such as murder, theft, or drug-related crimes.
• Employment Law Lawyers – These handle matters relating to employee rights, such as wrongful termination, discrimination, and sexual harassment.
• Family Law Lawyers – These handle cases pertaining to family law, such as divorce, child custody, and adoption.
• Immigration Lawyers – These handle cases dealing with immigration, such as green card applications, visa applications, and deportation proceedings.
Salaries of Lawyers
The amount of money a lawyer earns depends on the type of law the lawyer practices and their level of experience. Here is a breakdown of the salaries of lawyers in the United States.
Lowest Paid Lawyers
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary for lawyers in the United States is $122,960. For the lowest 10% of lawyers, the median salary is $58,220.
Highest Paid Lawyers
For the highest 10%, the median salary is $208,000. Those in the top 1% of earners can make upwards of $340,000 or more.
Location and Salary
The location of where a lawyer practices also impacts their salary. For example, lawyers in New York earn the highest median salary, at $164,610. Lawyers in California have a median salary of $153,320, while those in Florida have a median salary of $118,430.
A starting lawyer can expect to earn a median salary of $122,960. The type of law a lawyer practices and their level of experience will determine their salary. The highest paid lawyers are in the top 1%, those who make upwards of $340,000 or more. The location of a lawyer’s practice is also a factor in the salary they can expect to earn.
2 thoughts on “Starting Salary for Lawyers: How Much to Expect?”
Starting lawyers can expect to make decent wages.
Being a lawyer is a lucrative career, so it’s not surprising the expected starting salary is high. Though challenging, the financial rewards make it worth it.